May 23, 2018
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Lunch Debt | Robert Indiana | Stolen Shed

Lowell man pleads insanity in home arson case

Bangor Daily News | BDN
Bangor Daily News | BDN
Frank Stedford, left, talks with his attorney on Monday, December 6, 2010 at teh Penobscot Judicail Center in Bangor while pleading not guilty by reason of insanity to the charge of arson in connection with fire at his appartment earlier this year. Stedford will be committed to the Riverview Psychiatic Hospital in Augusta. (Bangor Daily News/Kevin Bennett)
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Frank Stedford said he started a fire on the first floor of his Lowell home last year “to smoke out” the voices he was hearing.

Stedford, 57, pleaded not criminally responsible by reason of insanity to arson Monday at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

He told Superior Court Justice William Anderson that he wasn’t trying to burn his house down, he just wanted the voices to show themselves.

Anderson found Stedford not guilty by reason of insanity of the Class A crime and ordered that the defendant be committed to Riverview Psychiatric Hospital in Augusta.

Stedford was indicted for arson by the Penobscot County grand jury in January. He pleaded not guilty in March and was released on unsecured bail.

Since his arrest, Stedford has undergone treatment for anxiety and paranoid-schizophrenia, the defendant told the judge Monday.

After setting the fire on Sept. 10, 2009, Stedford ran to a neighbor’s house to tell him the fire was out of control. The neighbor called the Fire Department, said Michael Roberts, deputy district attorney for Penobscot County, and damage was moderate.

Defense attorney Aaron Frey told Anderson that he agreed with Roberts that commitment to Riverview was the best outcome for his client.

If he had gone to trial and been convicted, Stedford would have faced up to 30 years in prison and a possible fine of up to $50,000.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like