Wood stove fire suspected in razing of Steuben home

By Rich Hewitt, BDN Staff
Posted Dec. 02, 2010, at 11:10 p.m.

STEUBEN, Maine — A fire Thursday morning destroyed a home off Pigeon Hill Road.

According to Steuben Fire Chief Adelbert Pinkham, the initial call came in at about 10:20 a.m. Thursday. The single-story home, owned by William “Billy” Pinkham, was located on Joe Leighton Road about a quarter-mile off Pigeon Hill Road.

The building was vacant at the time of the fire. According to the fire chief, the owner had been there earlier in the day to start a fire in the wood stove.

“When he came back, the place was all afire,” Chief Pinkham said.

The house was engulfed in flames and the roof was gone when the first firefighters arrived on the scene. Chief Pinkham said firefighters poured thousands of gallons of water onto the blaze, but were unable to save the building. It was considered a total loss.

There was no power to the building at the time, and the fire chief said it seems likely that the wood fire was the cause of the blaze, probably from a chimney fire that spread to the structure.

The building was not insured. No one was injured in the blaze.

Steuben firefighters were assisted at the scene by crews from Milbridge and Cherryfield who responded under a mutual aid agreement among the towns.

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/12/02/news/wood-stove-fire-suspected-in-razing-of-steuben-home/ printed on December 18, 2014