HAMPDEN, Maine — A local woman was taken to the hospital Wednesday night after she suffered an electric shock in her home at 368 Main Road North.
Gidget Walsh, 45, had been using a jigsaw to cut Christmas ornaments in her basement at about 9 p.m. when the shock occurred, Hampden police Officer Ben Eyles said.
The shock rendered Walsh unconscious, Eyles said. When it appeared that she stopped breathing, her teenage son, whose name wasn’t immediately available, performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
Walsh was conscious and alert when Hampden public safety officials arrived, Eyles said. He said she had no visible burns or marks but noted that she was experiencing some muscle spasms just before she was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor.
“She was lucky for her son to be there,” Eyles said, adding that the teenager may have saved his mother’s life.
No additional information about her medical condition was available as of 11:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Authorities believe that the electric shock occurred when a prong from a loose connection between two power cords came into contact with the metal chair that Walsh had been sitting on, Eyles said.
Bangor Hydro-Electric Co. spokeswoman Susan Faloon said the utility’s safety officer was dispatched to a home on Main Road North to look into what took place but that few other details were available.
About the same time that the medical problem arose, power was knocked out to about 2,400 Bangor Hydro-Electric customers in Hampden, Newburgh, Dixmont and Winterport, Faloon said. The outages were not connected to the Hampden incident, she said.
“Those actually were caused by a tree on a line,” she said. Power to those customers was restored within less than an hour.
About 30 Bangor Hydro customers in Old Town, Alton and Argyle Township also lost power because of the weather conditions, which were windy and rainy. Crews still were working to get those customers back on line late Wednesday night.