June 18, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

Man who caused Bangor standoff pleads not guilty to gun charge

myspace | BDN
myspace | BDN
Shawn Nobrega (posted this photo on his MySpace page as an advertisement for his business, where he is listed as the owner/deejay).
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The man who allegedly caused a police standoff last month pleaded not guilty Tuesday in U.S. District Court to a gun charge.

Domingos Nobrega, also known as Shawn Alan Nobrega, 33, of Bangor was indicted last week on a charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition.

Nobrega, dressed in an orange jail-issued jumpsuit, appeared calm and composed during Tuesday’s short hearing before U.S. Magistrate Judge Margaret Kravchuk. The defendant was agitated and upset at his bail hearing on Nov. 11.

More than once during that proceeding, federal public defender Virginia Villa had to remind her client not to speak to the judge or witnesses. Nobrega also rested his head on his arms on the defense table and sobbed during much of the proceeding.

Nobrega is being held without bail at the Penobscot County Jail. Kravchuk said about two weeks ago that she could not release Nobrega because there was nowhere for him to live. The woman with whom he lived in Bangor when he was arrested has taken out a protection from abuse order against him, according to testimony. That prevents Nobrega from returning to the apartment.

Nobrega was arrested earlier this month as he was being released from the Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Hospital in Bangor, according to federal officials. He had been at the hospital since shortly after he was taken into custody about 12:30 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 24, by the Bangor Police Department’s Special Response Team.

At the bail hearing, Villa stipulated to the court that her client is a felon, which prohibits him from possessing firearms.

The current charge stems from a six-hour standoff on lower Main Street that began on Saturday, Oct. 23. The incident ended about 12:30 a.m. the next day when members of the Bangor Police Department’s Special Response Team shot tear gas into his home at 751 Main St.

If convicted of the federal charge, he faces up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.

He faces a similar charge in state court. The maximum penalty for the crime under Maine law is five years and a fine of $5,000.

Nobrega also could be charged in state court with creating a standoff. If convicted of that crime, he could be ordered to reimburse the city for the cost of the standoff.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like