Firefighters battle Glenburn blaze

Posted Nov. 22, 2010, at 2:29 p.m.

GLENBURN, Maine — The State Fire Marshal’s Office has been called in to help pinpoint the cause of a fire that heavily damaged a split level home on Monday.

Glenburn Fire Chief David Braley said the fire at 5 Deer Run Road was reported about 9:30 a.m. by Chuck Stitham, a local paramedic and firefighter who spotted a column of smoke while driving along Pushaw Road and stopped by to investigate.

No one was home when the fire broke out, Braley said. The home was searched, however, because there was a pickup truck in the driveway when fire crews arrived.

According to Braley, the fire is believed to have started in the kitchen and most of the damage was contained to that room and the living room. He said flames and smoke were coming out from the roof and eaves when fire crews from Glenburn, Hudson, Bangor and Corinth arrived.

Story continues below advertisement.

Braley said he did not have the homeowners’ names but said that they did turn up not long after the fire began and that it was his understanding they had been helping out at a charity food drive when they learned of the fire. He said it appeared they were receiving a great deal of support from neighbors.

Though Braley said a dollar estimate for the damage was not immediately available, he did say that the house was insured.

Recommend this article


Similar Articles

More in Bangor