Lamoine fire tests new mutual aid pact

By Rich Hewitt, BDN Staff
Posted Nov. 15, 2010, at 11:39 p.m.

LAMOINE — A fire near a wood stove caused minor damage to a home on Lamoine Beach Road on Monday morning.

Firefighters from Lamoine, Trenton, Ellsworth and Hancock went to the fire scene under a new automatic mutual aid agreement recently signed by the four communities. Under the agreement, according to Lamoine’s Assistant Fire Chief Stu Marckoon, if there is a structure fire in any one of the four towns, firefighters from all four are paged out.

“It worked great,” he said. “Everybody came. We didn’t need all the equipment, but it was nice to have all that manpower.”

The fire started at about 8 a.m. in combustible materials that were left too close to the wood stove at the home of Daniel and Sally Hadley, according to Marckoon. The fire spread to a nearby wall and also got into the insulation.

A quick response by firefighters prevented serious damage to the home, Marckoon said. Firefighters also were concerned upon arrival with getting one of the disabled residents to safety.

“Our first job was to get them out of the house,” he said. That was accomplished, and there were no injuries.

The fire damaged a portion of the exterior wall, but Marckoon said that he believed the family was back in the home Monday night. The home was insured, he said.

The fire serves as a warning to homeowners who use a wood stove to make sure that any combustibles are kept away from the stove, according to Marckoon.

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/11/15/news/lamoine-fire-tests-new-mutual-aid-pact/ printed on April 24, 2014