Fire destroys Kenduskeag auto body shop

Rick Bushey's garage on the Townhouse Road in Kenduskeag before firefighters arrived on Friday, November 12, 2010. (Photo courtesy of Dan Davis)
Dan Davis
Rick Bushey's garage on the Townhouse Road in Kenduskeag before firefighters arrived on Friday, November 12, 2010. (Photo courtesy of Dan Davis)
Posted Nov. 12, 2010, at 1:09 p.m.
Ellis Stewart sits slumped against a car as firefighters treat him for smoke inhalation after he attempted to put out an automotive garage fire on the Townhouse Road in Levant on Friday, November12, 2010. Stewart was alone in the garage working on a car when it caught fire. The garage is owned by Rick Bushey, who was not at the garage at the time of the fire. (Bangor Daily News/Kevin Bennett)
Ellis Stewart sits slumped against a car as firefighters treat him for smoke inhalation after he attempted to put out an automotive garage fire on the Townhouse Road in Levant on Friday, November12, 2010. Stewart was alone in the garage working on a car when it caught fire. The garage is owned by Rick Bushey, who was not at the garage at the time of the fire. (Bangor Daily News/Kevin Bennett)
Firefighters from Kenduskeag, Levant, Glenburn and Corinth battle an automotive garage fire on the Townhouse Road in Kenduskeag on Friday, November 12, 2010. A man working in the garage  was treated for smoke inhalation.  The building was a total loss. (Bangor Daily News/Kevin Bennett)
Firefighters from Kenduskeag, Levant, Glenburn and Corinth battle an automotive garage fire on the Townhouse Road in Kenduskeag on Friday, November 12, 2010. A man working in the garage was treated for smoke inhalation. The building was a total loss. (Bangor Daily News/Kevin Bennett)

KENDUSKEAG — The State Fire Marshal’s Office has been called to help pinpoint the cause of a fire Friday afternoon that sent a local man to the hospital and destroyed a two-bay repair garage at Rick’s Auto Sales on Townhouse Road.

Ellis Stewart, an employee whose age and hometown weren’t immediately available, was treated for smoke inhalation at the fire scene.

He later was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor as a precaution, Fire Chief Jonathan Seifert said Friday.

A hospital nursing supervisor said Stewart was treated and then released.

Seifert said that the fire at Rick’s Auto Sales, owned by Rick Bushey, began in a vehicle inside the garage about 12:30 p.m. The building was fully engulfed in fire by the time fire crews arrived.

“It burned through the roof and the roof collapsed,” Seifert said. “We had it knocked down in about an hour and a half.”

Kenduskeag firefighters were assisted by their counterparts from Corinth, Levant and Glenburn, Seifert said. He said Hermon firefighters remained on standby for those towns while the fire was being extinguished.

Besides the garage, the fire destroyed tools and equipment as well as a car that was being worked on inside and another car that was parked nearby outside, Seifert said. He estimated damage at more than $50,000 and said the business was insured.

Townhouse Road was closed to traffic temporarily at around 12:45 p.m. to allow firefighters and rescue crews to perform their duties.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor