MILBRIDGE, Maine — A home was gutted Tuesday after a fire broke out in the basement and raced through the home’s stairwell.
Owner Michael G. Strout, a lobster fisherman, was not at home when the fire was reported just before noon on Kennedy Highway.
Milbridge Fire Chief Peter Sawyer said the home was very well constructed and “tight,” which helped contain the blaze to the interior. He described it as a two-story home with a gambrel roof.
“The fire smoldered quite awhile before it was reported,” he said. An electrical wiring malfunction in the basement is the suspected cause.
Sawyer said the call for help came in at 11:49 a.m. and by 11:51 a.m., three firetrucks were on their way.
“I just happened to be in the station and another driver was just across the road,” Sawyer said.
He said there was a lot of smoke and heat generated by the fire, which caused extensive interior damage to the home. The exterior remained intact, he said.
“Once we got there, we probably didn’t use 200 gallons of water to knock it down,” Sawyer said.
Mutual aid was provided by Cherryfield, Harrington and Steuben fire departments.
“It was a good save today,” Sawyer said.