April 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Waffle House Hero | Royal Baby | Stoned Pets

Man who caused Bangor standoff facing federal gun charge

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The man who allegedly caused a six-hour standoff on lower Main Street two weeks ago has been charged in U.S. District Court on gun charges.

Domingos Nobrega, also known as Shawn Alan Nobrega, 33, of Bangor made his first appearance Friday afternoon in federal court on a charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition.

He was arrested earlier in the day when he was being released from the Dorothea Dix Psychiatric Hospital in Bangor, according to federal officials. Nobrega has been at the hospital since shortly after he was taken into custody about 12:30 a.m. Sunday, Oct 24, by the Bangor Police Department’s Special Response Team.

A preliminary hearing to determine whether there is probable cause for the charge and a bail hearing have been set for 8 a.m. Wednesday before U.S. Magistrate Margaret Kravchuk.

Federal prosecutors have asked that Nobrega be held without bail until his case is resolved. The motion for detention filed Friday states that the defendant should not be released on bail because he has two prior felony convictions and is a threat to the community.

Nobrega was convicted in August 2001 of assault with a deadly weapon in North Carolina, according to court documents. He was sentenced to 16 to 20 months in prison and 30 months of probation.

In March 2004, Nobrega was convicted of felony assault and battery in Virginia, according to court documents. He was sentenced to five years in prison with all but four years and six months suspended.

Court documents do not state how much time Nobrega actually served. He unsuccessfully appealed his conviction in Virginia, according to previous reports.

The current charge stems from a six-hour standoff on lower Main Street that began on Saturday, Oct. 23. The incident ended about 12:30 a.m. the next day when members of the Bangor Police Department’s Special Response Team shot tear gas into his home at 751 Main St.

As a precaution, area residents and at least one nearby business were evacuated, and Main Street between Thatcher Street and Cold Brook Road in Hampden were blocked off to traffic. A crisis negotiator made contact with Nobrega, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said previously, but negotiations did not result in the suspect surrendering.

Nobrega was charged last month in state court with being a felon in possession of a firearm. If convicted of a nearly identical charge in federal court, he faces up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000. The maximum penalty for the crime under Maine law is five years and a fine of $5,000.

The state charge most likely would be dropped if Nobrega is convicted in federal court of being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition.

Nobrega still could be charged in state court with creating a standoff. If convicted of that crime, he could be ordered to reimburse the city for the cost of the standoff.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like