June 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Lone Star Ticks | Foraging | Bangor Pride

Husson student stabbed during fight

Contributed | BDN
Contributed | BDN
Mickey Heath Jr. of Milford (Photo courtesy of Penobscot County Jail)
By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A fight Tuesday afternoon between two 18-year-old men at Husson University escalated to the point where one of them, a student, was stabbed in the arm, police and university officials said Wednesday.

“The victim was a student, but the suspect is not a student,” Julie Green, Husson’s spokeswoman, said Wednesday.

Milford resident Mickey Heath Jr. got into a fight with the victim over a female, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards said in a statement Wednesday afternoon. The fight took place at Bell Dorm, and Heath reportedly “introduced a knife and brass knuckles to the fight,” he said. “No weapons were recovered.”

Bangor police were called at around 4:20 p.m., Lt. Steve Hunt said. Husson security had separated the two men, he said.

“The victim had a 3-inch-long gash on his forearm,” which was wrapped in a bandage, Hunt said.

After police interviewed Heath, he was arrested and charged with felony aggravated assault and taken to the Penobscot County Jail.

The victim was taken to St. Joseph Hospital, Green said.

“He came back last night with a few stitches,” she said. “He’s fine.”

Green thanked the police department and gave accolades to campus security.

“It was dealt with swiftly and professionally by our staff,” she said. “We work hard here to keep this a safe place. We’re glad it wasn’t more serious than it was.”

Heath’s bail was set Wednesday at $3,000, and he was later released from jail, according to the Penobscot County District Attorney’s Office. His bail conditions include a 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. curfew and a requirement that he stay with his grandmother in Milford.

In addition, Heath is barred from Husson and cannot contact the victim or witnesses. He also cannot posses dangerous weapons and must submit to random searches for weapons.

His next court date at the Penobscot Judicial Center is scheduled for Dec. 13. Because the crime is a felony, he also may be indicted by the Penobscot County grand jury when it rises next month.

If convicted of the felony aggravated assault charge, Heath could face up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $20,000.

According to court listings printed in the Bangor Daily News, Heath has prior juvenile convictions for possessing tobacco and breaking curfew, for which he was sentenced to community service.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like