May 23, 2018
High School Sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Lunch Debt | Robert Indiana | Stolen Shed

Hawks nip Bucks in overtime

By Larry Mahoney, BDN Staff

BUCKSPORT — Hermon High School senior striker Lindsey Allen hadn’t had a hat trick this season.

But she notched her first one on Monday and the third goal was an overtime game-winner as the Hawks nipped Bucksport 5-4.

Allen scored off a free kick by her freshman sister, Amanda, with 2:47 left in the first overtime as Hermon improved to 7-4-1.

Amanda Allen lofted her free kick from the left flank, 10 yards beyond the penalty area, and her sister made a run toward the net.

“(Amanda) made a nice cross over everybody and it bounced off the goalie (Bailey Blair) and I just ran through it,” said Lindsey Allen. “It was off my stomach. I wanted to make sure it went in.”

“I was just trying to put it to the far post,” said Amanda Allen.

“(Lindsey) just has a nose for the goal. She’s all heart,” said Hermon coach Stori Shaw.

The Hawks used a pair of first-half goals by Nicole Turmel to offset one by Mindy Pye and take a 2-1 lead into the intermission.

But the Bucks (4-6-1) controlled play early in the second half and were rewarded when Sadie Wight curled a powerful 20-yard free kick from the middle of the field into the corner to the right of helpless goalie Sarah Bishop with 20:58 remaining.

That goal actually jump-started the Hawks, and Lindsey Allen scored goals 1:38 apart to make it 4-2 with 13:42 remaining.

On the first one, Allen fed Kaitlin Saulter, whose shot rebounded in front where Allen followed it up and drilled it home.

Allen’s next goal came off a scramble in the penalty area as she hit a 10-yard half-volley across the goal into the corner.

But the Bucks rallied dramatically to force the overtime. Coach Bill Tracy revamped his formation, going with three attackers and two attacking midfielders instead of two attackers and two holding midfielders.

Alanna Davis pulled the Bucks within one with 8:30 remaining.

Pye’s shot deflected across the penalty area where Davis directed it with the inside of her right foot inside the post to the left of Mikayla Treadmill, who had replaced Bishop with 15:36 left.

The Bucks pressed for the equalizer and tied it with two minutes left.

Shelby Redman sent a cross into the penalty area, a wild flurry ensued and Pye was able to poke it home.

“This was one of the best comebacks I’ve ever been a part of,” said Tracy. “To have the girls fight like that showed a lot of character.”

Turmel opened the scoring by converting a cross from Mollie Roy.

Pye tied it when her corner kick deflected into the net.

Turmel broke the tie when she was able to work herself free and convert an Amanda Allen cross with a glancing header.

Shaw said her team was inconsistent, but she was pleased to get the hard-fought win.

“On a scale of one to 10, I’d give us maybe a seven,” said Shaw. “We didn’t play to our potential, but, at times, I thought we played great.”

Shaw praised the efforts turned in by Lindsey Allen, stopper Maddie Page, holding midfielder Gabby Bryant and sweeper Amanda Allen along with the highly skilled Saulter, who was a constant threat and had two assists.

Tracy thought he received quality performances from central midfielder Sadie Wight (1 goal, 1 assist) and her sister, sweeper Deb Wight.

“All of our backs played well,” he said.

JV:  Bucksport 1-0

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like