May 23, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Lunch Debt | Robert Indiana | Stolen Shed

Police manhunt for armed man ends peacefully

By Abigail Curtis, BDN Staff

LIBERTY, Maine — Police in two counties searched Friday afternoon for a Turner man who allegedly was armed with a large knife, had entered several homes and a Gardiner school, and was acting bizarrely.

No one was hurt during the search for Ross Dulac, 58, who was taken to Penobscot Bay Medical Center in Rockport for evaluation once police tracked him down, according to a press release from the Waldo County Sheriff’s Office.

During the hours-long search for Dulac, police realized that he was the same man who was shot and wounded by a Maine state trooper in a standoff in Mount Vernon nearly 20 years ago.

Dulac came to the attention of Waldo County officials at 4:10 p.m. Friday after a Liberty resident complained that a mud-covered man had stumbled out of the woods and was acting disoriented, according to the sheriff’s office. A sheriff’s deputy and Liberty Fire-EMS searched for the man but couldn’t find him.

At 5:07 p.m. another caller told police that he arrived home to find an unknown vehicle in his driveway that appeared to belong to Dulac, according to a police report. The caller also told police that his son had heard someone running out the back door of the house when he got home from school.

Another caller told police that a mud-covered man carrying a large knife had entered a Liberty apartment complex and was asking about a woman.

The man ran into the woods when he was told the woman didn’t live there, according to the report.

When Waldo County police requested the help of a K-9 unit from the Maine State Police, they learned that they weren’t the only department looking for Dulac.

Dulac reportedly had gone to a Gardiner school earlier in the day and asked to see “all the kids,” according to the report. Dulac apparently was told to leave the school and did. Gardiner police made contact with him but couldn’t take him into custody.

But when another complainant told police that there was a man on his back deck in Liberty banging on the door with a large knife, crews from the sheriff’s office and the Maine State Police were able to get there and take Dulac into custody without incident.

During the 1992 standoff, Dulac reportedly broke into a house occupied by five people, initially armed with a compound bow and arrow. He also took a 12-gauge shotgun and a .22-caliber pistol from the house, according to a story previously published in the BDN.

Dulac refused several commands to drop the weapons, then turned in a way that allegedly pointed the shotgun towards a state trooper just before the trooper fired.

The Maine Attorney General’s office determined that the trooper was justified in using deadly force but disputed initial police reports that Dulac had fired first.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like