May 21, 2018
Sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Concussions | Maine Media College | Boston Red Sox

UNH rallies past Maine

BDN staff and wire reports

ORONO — The University of New Hampshire rallied for three second-half goals to defeat the University of Maine 3-2 in an America East field hockey matchup Fiday.

Whitney Frates scored off a Kyle Lyons assist with five seconds remaining in regulation to lead the 8-3 Wildcats. Frates also tied it with 3:55 left in the second half. Hayley Rausch scored UNH's first goal 12:44 into the second half. Frates had the assist. Katherine Nagengast saved 11 of 13 shots.

Jocelyn Mitchell scored two first-half goals for the 7-3 Black Bears. Kelly Newton and Stephanie Gardiner had the assists. Brittany Flech turned away eight of 11 shots.

The Black Bears opened the scoring 24:16 into the first half when Mitchell picked up the first of her two first half goals. Fellow junior Newton sent a shot at the Wildcat cage that was blocked but found Mitchell's stick. Mitchell beat Nagengast to put Maine up 1-0.

The Black Bears would take a 2-0 lead into the half when Mitchell picked up her 12th goal on the season with just 1:20 remaining in the first half. Gardiner fired a shot towards the New Hampshire goaltender as Mitchell stuck out her stick and tipped the shot into the back of the Wildcat cage. For Gardiner, it was her eighth assist on the season.

New Hampshire opened the scoring in the second half when Frates sent a pass from around midfield to Hayley Rausch. Rausch carried the ball into the Maine circle and beat Fleck to cut the Maine lead in half at 2-1.

The Wildcats would tie the score with 3:55 remaining in the second half. Frates dribbled the ball in towards the Maine cage and slid a shot in, tying things at two goals apiece.

New Hampshire would take advantage of a corner play with just 10 seconds left on the clock. The ball was slid into play and after a pair of fake shots, Kyle Lyons sent a shot towards the Maine cage. The shot found Frates on the right post as she hit the back of the cage with just five seconds remaining, giving the Wildcats a 3-2 win.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like