June 18, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

2 hospitalized after Holden accident Monday

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

HOLDEN, Maine — Two motorists were taken to the hospital Monday night for treatment of injuries they suffered in a collision between a subcompact car and a pickup truck hauling a car-carrying trailer with three vehicles aboard.

Injured in the crash, which occurred about 9:40 p.m. on U.S. Route 1A, were Benjamin Souders, 18, of Prospect Harbor, who had cuts on his face and arms, and Todd Hill, 34, of Frankfort, who suffered ankle and foot injuries, Holden police Sgt. Eugene Fizell said Tuesday. Both drivers were released from Eastern Maine Medi-cal Center in Bangor after receiving treatment, he said.

Fizell said Hill’s 15-year-old son, Jacob Hill, who was a passenger in the pickup, was not injured.

The accident happened near Harold’s Transmissions Repair when Souders’ 2008 Toyota Yaris drifted into the path of the dual-wheeled pickup Hill was driving, Fizell said. He said Hill, who was heading toward Brewer, was forced to pull to the extreme right of his lane and then into the breakdown lane but was unable to avoid colliding with the car, which was traveling in the opposite direction.

Fizell said the car spun and came to a stop in the middle of the roadway. The pickup and trailer continued forward and ended up driving down a steep embankment and into a ditch “with all of the cars [aboard] intact. They slid to the side but they remained secure.”

Souders was able to get himself out of his car and was tended to by nearby residents until emergency medical personnel arrived, Fizell said.

Todd Hill, who was trapped in the truck, was extricated by Brewer firefighters. He was taken to the hospital by his wife, who showed up at the accident scene, Fizell said.

Fizell said all three of the people involved in the accident were wearing seat belts, and the air bags in both vehicles deployed, preventing what could have been worse injuries.

Because of the accident, traffic on Route 1A was rerouted by way of Church Road. Route 1A was reopened about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, he said. The accident remained under investigation late Tuesday, but Fizell said speed and alcohol were not considered factors.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like