June 18, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Tiny House Surprise | Antiquing | Stephen King

Smoke fills gym, causes school evacuation

By Rich Hewitt, BDN Staff

ADDISON, Maine — Students at the D.W. Merritt School were sent home Friday morning after an electrical problem filled the gymnasium area with smoke.

According to Dawn Fickett, administrative assistant for SAD 37, the incident occurred Friday morning just as the approximately 150 students were arriving at the school by bus.

“The staff was in the building, and students were just arriving,” Fickett said Friday. “They evacuated the staff, and the buses went to the Addison Town Hall with the students.”

Staff members also went to the town office to be with the students.

Rather than keep the students on the bus for a long time, administrators decided to send them home for the day.

The problem was caused by a light in the gymnasium that malfunctioned, filling the gym area with smoke, Fickett said.

An electrician was called while firefighters were still on the scene to check out the problem. There was no damage to the building and no one was injured.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like