Homeowner sent to hospital as fire guts garage

A firefighter hoses down burning embers in a gutted garage Sunday evening next to Route 1 in Sullivan. Local fire Chief Mike Hiser said the homeowner, who had been welding in the garage when the fire started shortly before 5 p.m., was taken to Maine Coast Memorial Hospital in Ellsworth to be treated for smoke inhalation. (Bangor Daily News/Bill Trotter)
BDN
A firefighter hoses down burning embers in a gutted garage Sunday evening next to Route 1 in Sullivan. Local fire Chief Mike Hiser said the homeowner, who had been welding in the garage when the fire started shortly before 5 p.m., was taken to Maine Coast Memorial Hospital in Ellsworth to be treated for smoke inhalation. (Bangor Daily News/Bill Trotter)
Posted Sept. 19, 2010, at 9:37 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 29, 2011, at 12:07 p.m.

SULLIVAN, Maine — A structure fire Sunday gutted a garage on Route 1 and resulted in the homeowner going to a hospital as a safety precaution, according to the town fire chief.

The fire was reported around 5 p.m., but Sullivan Fire Chief Mike Hiser said homeowner Brian Hastings tried extinguishing the fire himself before he called 911.

“It was pretty much gone by the time we got here,” Hiser said Sunday. “He managed to get a lot of stuff out of there.”

Hiser said Hastings used the small garage as a workshop and was welding in the building when the fire started. He said the only contents of the building were old machine parts and related items and that they are not believed to have a lot of monetary value.

Hiser said he would assume that the garage is covered by Hastings’ home insurance, but he had not yet verified that Hastings is insured.

Hastings inhaled some smoke while trying to get items out of the garage and was taken to Maine Coast Memorial Hospital in Ellsworth as a precaution, but is not believed to have suffered any significant injuries, Hiser said.

Hastings’ home is across Route 1 from the Sullivan Fire Station, but Hiser said it took firefighters about five minutes to get to the station after the fire was reported.

Firefighters had the fire under control within five minutes of arriving and had it out completely in about an hour, the chief said. He estimated that two dozen firefighters from Hancock and Sullivan went to the blaze.

Firefighters had Route 1 in front of the house restricted to one lane of alternating traffic while they were at the scene.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in State