June 18, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

Bail hearing postponed for rape suspect

Contributed | BDN
Contributed | BDN
Mike Beaulieu, 35, of Anson from Maine Sex Offender Registry
By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The bail hearing for the Anson man accused of kidnapping and raping a woman at gunpoint in Pennsylvania last month has been postponed, an official with Edmundston Provincial Court said Tuesday.

Mike Beaulieu, 35, was scheduled to undergo a bail hearing in Edmundston Provincial Court in New Brunswick last week, but the hearing was postponed to Sept. 22 at the request of his court-appointed attorney, a provincial court clerk said. Beaulieu also is scheduled to enter a plea at that time, she said.

Beaulieu, who was released last year from a four-year prison sentence for rape in Maine, has been identified as the suspect in the Aug. 3 rape and kidnapping of a woman in Pennsylvania’s Allegheny National Forest, Pennsylvania State Police officials said last month.

Authorities say that Beaulieu tied up the woman’s male companion with rope and duct tape, forced the woman into his pickup, left the area with her, then raped her and let her go.

Descriptions and information provided by the victims and other witnesses led police to conclude the suspect was from Maine.

Further investigation and help from law enforcement personnel from Maine, including the state police, led authorities to identify Beaulieu as a suspect. A nationwide alert asking police to be on the lookout for Beaulieu and his black GMC pickup went out on Aug. 9.

Beaulieu’s arrest by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police came the next day.

A major break in the search came when Fort Kent Police Chief Kenneth Michaud found Beaulieu’s truck near the Fort Kent Blockhouse, located at the confluence of the Fish and St. John rivers.

In the back of the pickup, Michaud found a set of license plates from New Hampshire that had been reported stolen.

Within hours, U.S. authorities contacted RCMP personnel assigned to the Atlantic Region’s Integrated Border Enforcement Team, or IBET, to tell them the suspect was believed to have crossed into New Brunswick illegally by way of the St. John River.

The IBET and other Canadian law enforcement personnel received a tip that a suspicious man was at a Baker Lake campground. Authorities searched that area and found Beaulieu, arresting him without incident.

At the time of his arrest, Beaulieu possessed a loaded .45-caliber pistol and a roll of duct tape. Pennsylvania State Police believe the firearm was stolen from New Hampshire, according to published reports.

During a court appearance on Aug. 16, Beaulieu’s court-appointed attorney asked that a psychiatric evaluation be conducted. That request was granted and Beaulieu was evaluated at Restigouche Hospital Center in Campbellton, New Brunswick.

It was not clear Tuesday whether Beaulieu has been deemed competent to stand trial.

As of this week, it still wasn’t clear what arrangements might be in the works to extradite Beaulieu to Pennsylvania, where he faces several charges, including rape, aggravated assault, unlawful restraint and carrying an unlicensed firearm in the attack.

He faces several customs and firearms charges in New Brunswick.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like