PRESQUE ISLE, Maine — A homeless man arrested and charged in late June in connection with a robbery at the Subway sandwich shop on Main Street in Presque Isle was indicted Friday by the Aroostook County grand jury.
Mark Mullen, 25, was indicted on a single count of robbery, according to Aroostook County District Attorney Neale Adams.
Mullen was in Presque Isle on the evening of June 28 when he walked into the restaurant just before 11:45 p.m., according to Presque Isle police.
Two employees were working in the Subway when Mullen allegedly entered the store. Witnesses told police that Mullen was dressed in black and wearing a black mask over his face, and that he brandished a knife and told the employees he was there to rob the store.
He then reportedly forced the two employees into a walk-in cooler and fled on foot with an undisclosed amount of cash.
After breaking out of the cooler, the employees called police.
Mullen was arrested two days after the robbery.
Police Chief Naldo Gagnon said Mullen was recognized by several people at a rest stop from images displayed by the media and posted on the police department’s Facebook page.
Police recovered a small amount of money that was stolen during the robbery.
In an unrelated incident, a 25-year-old migrant worker also was indicted Friday on several charges stemming from an attack on a Presque Isle woman last month.
Jorge Rios-Campos, a migrant worker who came to the region from Raymondville, Texas, was indicted on charges of attempted unlawful sexual contact, tampering with a victim, assault and unlawful sexual touching.
Rios-Campos is a U.S. citizen and was staying in Caribou while he was working in the area.
Presque Isle police Officer Kevin Schumacher said the attack happened at about 4 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 15, at a home in the city.
Schumacher said the accused met the 34-year-old sister of the victim at a party during the night of Aug. 14. The sister brought Rios-Campos back to her parents’ home, where she and the victim also live.
Police have not released the name of the victim, but said she was not a juvenile.
Rios-Campos stayed at the home into the early morning hours of Aug. 15. He allegedly attacked the victim in her bed while her older sister was asleep.
Rios-Campos then called a local taxi company and left the home, according to police
After the attack, the victim went to her father’s camp in Portage and told him what happened. He contacted police.
The victim and her sister were able to give a good description of Rios-Campos.
The cabdriver also was able to identify the 25-year-old, who was then arrested by police.