March 19, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Andrew McCabe | Civil War Gold | Marissa Kennedy

Police seek witnesses to Bangor beating after victim dies

By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — No arrests have been in the homicide of a local man who died Wednesday after being injured in a fight three days before under the Joshua Chamberlain Bridge, Lt. Tim Reid, who leads Bangor Police Department’s detective division, said Friday.

“We’re still trying to locate people who were down there,” he said Friday afternoon. “We have estimates that 30 to 50 people were in the area. The interview process is ongoing.”

Ralph “Greenie” Greenleaf, 47, was in the fight just after area bars closed for the night. Around 1:25 a.m. Sunday he was taken unconscious by ambulance to Eastern Maine Medical Center. He died at 11:20 p.m. Wednesday, and his body was taken to the medical examiner’s office in Augusta on Thursday for an autopsy.

“As a result of this examination, the medical examiner’s office and the Office of the Attorney General [concluded] that Ralph Greenleaf … died of blunt force head trauma and that the manner of death is homicide,” said a press release issued Thursday evening by the Bangor Police Department.

A memorial service for Greenleaf is planned for sometime next week in Searsport, said his sister and a co-worker of Greenleaf’s. Family members said the service would be private and did not release any information.

Greenleaf was a longtime employee of Roof Systems of Maine in Bangor, where he worked as a kettle tender, said company Vice President Lee Corro. He had worked for the company since 1992 and lived on Ohio Street.

Because police believe that a large number of people were in the vicinity of the bridge and lower Union Street when the fight broke out, they hope that more witnesses will come forward. The fight, which involved Greenleaf and several young people, according to eyewitnesses, occurred a few hours after American Folk Festival activities wound down for the night on Aug. 28 and shortly after nearby bars closed.

The incident is under investigation by the Criminal Investigation Division of the Bangor Police Department.

Those with information about the incident are asked to call the Police Department’s tip line at 947-7382, ext. 6.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like