Monmouth man on trial for allegedly killing mother

Posted Aug. 30, 2010, at 5:37 a.m.

AUGUSTA, Maine — A 44-year-old man is going on trial for allegedly killing his mother in the home they shared in the central Maine town of Monmouth.

Kenneth McDonald’s murder trial gets under way Monday in Kennebec County Superior Court in Augusta. Jurors were selected last week.

Prosecutors say McDonald killed his mother, Janice McDonald, 80, on Aug. 24, 2009. The medical examiner said she died of multiple sharp force and blunt trauma.

Last month, Superior Court Justice Michaela Murphy ruled that a statement by McDonald after his mother’s killing will be admissible at his murder trial.

McDonald, who has pleaded not guilty, allegedly told his sister, “I screwed up bad this time” when she asked him about the slaying of their mother.

According to court documents, police found knives in the home that appeared to be covered with blood.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in State