June 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Family Separations | Boston TV | LePage Troops

Holden man in custody after shots fired at grandmother’s house

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

HOLDEN, Maine — The Bangor man local police arrested Saturday afternoon after he allegedly fired shots in the backyard of a home on Mann Hill Road was being held Sunday at Penobscot County Jail.

Daniel Day, 25, is charged with robbery, aggravated reckless conduct and criminal mischief. Bail was set at $10,000 cash, according to jail personnel.

Day most likely will appear Monday afternoon before a judge at Penobscot Judicial Center if he is unable to post bail.

Holden police Sgt. Eugene Fizell said Saturday the arrest was made at the home of the man’s grandmother at 69 Mann Hill Road. Day’s parents live next door to the grandmother, according to Fizell.

The man was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor for a psychiatric evaluation, then to the jail Saturday night.

Fizell said Sunday that Day was charged with robbery because he allegedly used intimidation to obtain money from a relative police did not identify. The charge of reckless conduct stemmed from Day’s firing the weapons, the sergeant said, and the charge of criminal mischief was the result of damage Day allegedly did to the inside of his grandmother’s home.

Day allegedly broke windows from inside the home before going outside and firing the guns into the air, Fizell said Sunday.

After he was taken into custody, police determined Day had a .223 assault rifle, a 12-gauge shotgun and a .38-caliber revolver in his possession. The guns belonged to Day, Fizell said Sunday.

The incident began about 2:50 p.m. Saturday when a relative of the man arrested called police to report that the 25-year-old was upset, had guns and was in the backyard firing randomly. He surrendered about 1¼ hours later.

“We were told that the young man had had a mental lapse, taken several guns and was in the backyard of his grandmother’s house firing in an indiscriminate manner,” Fizell said. “Ultimately, he surrendered.”

Although no one was injured in the incident, Fizell said Saturday that an ambulance had been called to check out the grandmother because she was “very upset” by the incident.

Michael Rounds, 33, of Holden lives across the street from the house where the shots were fired. He called police twice about the incident. Once police began arriving, Rounds was told to wake his napping wife and son and leave the area. The family walked down the hill to the convenience store at the corner of Route 1A and Route 46.

“I was outside and heard four shotgun rounds and yelling from outside the house,” Rounds said Saturday after he and his family were allowed to return home. “I knew something wasn’t right. It sounded like a young person, and I know the people who live there are elderly.”

Rounds, who is a part-time firefighter in Brewer, said he called 911.

“A few minutes later, I heard someone say, ‘I hate you all’ and three more shotgun blasts,” he said. “I called again and told them they’d better hurry.”

Rounds said it was very unusual to hear the sound of gunfire in the summer.

“In hunting season, we might hear a couple of shots in the distance, but that’s it,” he said, standing in his driveway while his wife and toddler played in the yard a few feet away.

Fizell said Saturday that in his seven years with the Holden Police Department, he’d never responded to a “shots fired” call.

In addition to local police, Maine State Police and Penobscot County Sheriff’s Department personnel as well as Maine game wardens were at the scene. Law enforcement personnel blocked off the Mann Hill Road for about an hour.

If convicted, Day faces up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000 on the robbery charge alone.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like