April 20, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Alex Gray | Bump Stocks | Ferry Fees

Plymouth fire accidental; aid sought for family of 5

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

PLYMOUTH, Maine — An investigation by the State Fire Marshal’s Office has determined that the fire Sunday that destroyed the home of a family of five and claimed the lives of their two dogs was accidental.

Sgt. Tim York of the fire marshal’s office said the fire started in an electrical receptacle in the kitchen of the mobile home at 126 Etna Road owned by Shantelle and Corey Edkins and their three children, ages 7, 4 and 1.

Shantelle and the children were visiting with family and Corey Edkins was at work when the fire broke out around 4:30 p.m.

Plymouth Deputy Fire Chief Arrin Farrar said the family had a place to stay for the time being but lost virtually everything they own in the fire.

Farrar said firefighters from Plymouth and Etna helped meet some of the children’s immediate clothing needs by bringing them clothing that their children had outgrown.

Dysart’s Truck Stop & Restaurant in Hermon is accepting donations of cash and clothing for the children on the family’s behalf, company employees confirmed Monday night.

Needed are clothing suitable for a 4-year-old boy, girls clothing in size 10 and girls clothing in size 12-18 months.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like