Torch spark deemed cause of garage fire

Lincoln Firefighter Donald Olsen shouts to make himself heard over sirens and water as he douses hot spots in a collapsed garage on Lee Road in Lincoln on Saturday. (Bangor Daily News/Nick Sambides Jr.)
BDN
Lincoln Firefighter Donald Olsen shouts to make himself heard over sirens and water as he douses hot spots in a collapsed garage on Lee Road in Lincoln on Saturday. (Bangor Daily News/Nick Sambides Jr.)
Posted Aug. 10, 2010, at 3:07 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 29, 2011, at 11:29 a.m.
Howland Firefighter Matt Berry speaks to [FRONT, LEFT TO RIGHT] Lincoln firefighter Frank Hammond Sr. and Lincoln Fire Capt. Robert Bean [red helmet] as Howland Firefighter DeWayne Lane douses hot spots in a collapsed garage on Lee Road in Lincoln on Saturday. (Bangor Daily News/Nick Sambides Jr.)
BDN
Howland Firefighter Matt Berry speaks to [FRONT, LEFT TO RIGHT] Lincoln firefighter Frank Hammond Sr. and Lincoln Fire Capt. Robert Bean [red helmet] as Howland Firefighter DeWayne Lane douses hot spots in a collapsed garage on Lee Road in Lincoln on Saturday. (Bangor Daily News/Nick Sambides Jr.)

LINCOLN, Maine — A smoldering spark from a cutting or welding torch caused a fire July 31 that destroyed a Lee Road garage that was large enough to hold a pulp truck, firefighters said Tuesday.

Firefighters who interviewed the homeowner at 338 Lee Road, former firefighter Jeremy Dill, learned that he had been working on a vehicle using a torch in the large two-bay garage several hours before the fire occurred, Deputy Fire Chief Hervey Clay said.

“Nobody was there when the fire started, so that’s as close as we could determine,” Clay said Tuesday. “We called the fire marshal’s office and reported it to them, but they were satisfied that they didn’t need to investigate it further.”

Fire marshals typically investigate only fires of suspicious origin or in which foul play is suspected, which this fire was not, Clay said.

More than 20 firefighters from Howland, Lee and Lincoln responded, forcing the shutdown of Route 6, the name by which Lee Road also is known, for about an hour. Traffic was routed through adjoining streets.

The metal and wood structure was burning badly when firefighters arrived. They prevented the fire from spreading to a prefabricated home not more than 30 feet from the garage. Another home was slightly farther away.

No one was injured.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Penobscot