Portland family awakened by smoke detector

Posted Aug. 03, 2010, at 7:50 a.m.

PORTLAND, Maine — A firefighter in Portland, Maine, says smoke detectors helped a family of five escape a fire that damaged their home.

Two adults and three children in the Bartley Avenue home were able to escape safely after the alarms sounded about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Deputy Fire Chief Scott Thomes told WMTW-TV it took firefighters 20 minutes to extinguish the flames, which seriously damaged the garage and a portion of the house.

A firefighter was slightly injured when he fell down a flight of stairs.

There’s no word yet on the cause of the fire.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Portland