Fire destroys garage, tools in Charlotte

Posted Aug. 03, 2010, at 9:28 p.m.

CHARLOTTE, Maine — A spark from a grinder is the suspected cause of a fire Tuesday that destroyed a garage and melted some of the siding on a nearby house.

The fire on Ayers Junction Road was reported at 10:36 a.m., Chief Dana Hatton of the Charleston Volunteer Fire Department said Tuesday.

Owner Allen Carter was visiting a nearby neighbor when he heard an explosion in his garage, Hatton said.

“He had been working with a grinder earlier in the morning and as far as we can tell, a spark may have landed in some combustible material which ignited a gasoline can,” Hatton said.

The fire that resulted destroyed the garage, Hatton said. He said Carter used the garage to repair small mechanical equipment such as lawn mowers. In addition to the garage itself, Carter lost numerous tools, including welding and drilling equipment.

Firefighters were able to save Carter’s home, which despite some melted siding remains intact, the chief said.

Hatton said the fire remained under investigation Tuesday afternoon. He said the State Fire Marshal’s Office was not called in because the garage was not insured and because the fire did not appear to be suspicious in nature.

He said that Charlotte firefighters were assisted by their counterparts from Meddybemps and by emergency medical personnel from Downeast Ambulance and that no one was injured in connection with the fire.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Down East