April 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Kenduskeag Canoe Race | Barbara Bush Funeral | Bangor Savings Bank

Newport man charged with assault on father, officer

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

Newport man charged with assault on father, officer

A Newport man was arrested early Sunday morning as the result of an episode that began with a fall down the stairs of his parents’ home. Police said the man was intoxicated at the time.

Joel Russell Abbot II, 35, faces charges of domestic violence assault, assault on a police officer, refusal to submit to arrest and violating his bail from a previous assault charge, Newport police Lt. Randy Wing said Monday.

“It all started out as a medical call,” Wing said Monday. He said that an ambulance was called to the home of Abbott’s parents, with whom he was residing, about 4 a.m.

“Mr. Abbot had fallen down a set of stairs,” injuring himself, Wing said.

When rescue personnel arrived, however, Abbott refused medical treatment. As emergency personnel were leaving, Abbott became angry.

“The situation escalated [to the point where] he lashed out and assaulted his father,” Wing said. As Abbott was being taken into custody, he reportedly grabbed and kicked at Newport police Cpl. David Wintle.

Abbott “was subsequently subdued and placed in restraints. At that point, he was taken to the [Sebasticook Valley Hospital in Pittsfield] for treatment of cuts to his forehead and ear that he got as a result of his fall,” Wing said. Afterward, Abbott was taken to Penobscot County Jail, Wing said, adding that Abbott since has been released on bail. (Dawn Gagnon, BDN)


A Bangor woman was arrested on two charges Friday after she allegedly stole a pair of sunglasses and some energy bars from the Rite Aid store at the corner of Union and Third streets.

In addition to being charged with theft, 47-year-old Sheila Ann Correia was charged with unsworn falsification after she gave police a name other than her own, Bangor police Sgt. Al Hayden said Monday.

Correia, who was taken to Penobscot County Jail after her arrest, since has been released on bail. (Dawn Gagnon, BDN)


A local man was arrested on several charges after loss prevention personnel from Shaw’s supermarket on Main Street in Bangor stopped him Friday with a bottle of rum, a steak-and-cheese sandwich and a bag of chips he reportedly hadn’t paid for.

The incident occurred shortly after 6 p.m. when Brian Raymond Johnson, 31, was stopped by a store employee after he tried to leave the store without paying, Bangor police Sgt. Al Hayden said Monday. When that happened, the suspect became belligerent, giving store officials a hard time.

As a result, Johnson now faces charges of theft and disorderly conduct and two counts of violating his bail from a previous arrest or arrests, Hayden said. An arrest summary issued Monday by Penobscot County Jail also lists a criminal trespass charge, though Hayden said it was not clear in the police report why that charge was filed. Johnson was still in jail Monday night. (Dawn Gagnon, BDN)


A 21-year-old Bangor man was arrested Saturday on a disorderly conduct charge after he reportedly ignored several requests to stop fighting.

According to Bangor police Sgt. Al Hayden, Sherron Eugene Scott was part of a group of four of five young adults who were fighting at the Bangor State Fair, which runs through Sunday at Bass Park.

City police officers who were on fair duty broke up the fighting but Scott reportedly kept at it, Hayden said. Scott, who was out on bail from an unrelated arrest, also was charged with violating the conditions of his release. He was still in jail as of Monday night, a jail official confirmed. (Dawn Gagnon, BDN)


A 19-year-old Bangor man who had a warrant out on him was arrested Saturday night after he was spotted near Broadway by a Bangor police officer who recognized him as a wanted man.

When police tried to stop him, however, Rockey A. Smith Jr. ran away on foot, Bangor police Sgt. Al Hayden said Monday.

Police caught up with him a short distance later and charged him with refusal to submit to arrest and violating his bail conditions from a previous lockup, Hayden said. Smith remained at Penobscot County Jail late Monday night. (Dawn Gagnon, BDN)

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like