HERMON, Maine — The community is gearing up for its third annual Summer Sizzler celebration, set for Saturday, Aug. 14. All events will take place at Hermon Elementary School and the recreational fields near it unless otherwise indicated.
According to a schedule provided by the town’s recreation department staff, the festivities start at 7 a.m. with a public breakfast and wrap up with fireworks at nightfall.
In between are a variety of events for children, car buffs, athletes and music fans, to name a few.
The community holds the annual event, in part, to allow residents to celebrate their town’s identity and provide volunteers a chance to raise funds for area youth programs, according to Michelle Thayer, assistant recreation director.
The celebration also affords local businesses an opportunity to showcase their wares and provides networking and social opportunities for residents and guests from the entire region, she said.
Following is a listing of Summer Sizzler events:
• 7-9 a.m., breakfast, Lynde Masonic Lodge, Hermon Corner.
• 8 a.m., adult coed softball tournament, 5K road race.
• 9 a.m., Los Amigos Riding Club Inc.’s All Trophy Reunion Show.
• 9:30-11:30 a.m., middle school soccer challenge preliminary games.
• 10 a.m.-4 p.m., craft and business fair.
• 11:30 a.m., parade from Hermon High School to Hermon Elementary School.
• Noon, middle school soccer challenge championship games, Hermon Fire Department safety trailer.
• 12:30-2:30 p.m., classic car show.
• 12:30-3:30 p.m., Carnival Land and games area. The $10 wristband offers access to unlimited bounce house visits, carnival games, waterslide, face painting, radar toss, dunk tank and more.
• 1 p.m., Morita’s School of Dance performers.
• 1:30-3:30 p.m. — Lil’ Dogs Entertainment in the Carnival Land area, dancing, karaoke, face painting, bubble gum blowing contest.
• 3:30 p.m., hula-hoop contest.
• 3:30-8 p.m., 3-on-3 basketball tournament.
• 4:30 p.m., karaoke.
• 5:30 p.m., Guitar Hero competition. Contestants to be picked by lottery. Register at information table.
ä 6:30 p.m., Chuck Hall, also known as “Downeast Elvis.”
• 7-8:30 p.m., street dance with DJ Chuck Foster of Z 107.3.
• 8:30 p.m., fireworks by Central Maine Pyrotechnics over baseball field.
For information, visit the town’s website at www.hermon.net.