PRESQUE ISLE, Maine — The Central Aroostook Kennel Club Fun Match and More will be held Saturday, Aug. 14, at Riverside Park, located at the end of Chapman Street.
The American Kennel Club-sanctioned event will include:
• Therapy Dog International, or TDI, testing by Robi Boulier of Tail Waggin’ Training Center starting at 8:30 a.m. for a cost of $20, followed by Canine Good Citizen, or CGC, by Robi and Lynn Boulier after TDI testing for a cost of $15. Dual certification is available. Both tests are open to purebred and mixed-breed dogs. Ca-nadian dogs can be therapy-dog certified. Bring the dog’s AKC and-or Canadian Kennel Club registration information.
• Rally or rally obedience, often referred to as rally-O, will begin at 9 a.m. with judge Lynn Boulier. Rally is a course consisting of 10 to 20 stations, each with instructions for an obedience type of task to be performed by the handler-dog team.
• The breed show, open to AKC-registered dogs only, begins at 10 a.m. with judge Crystal Boone. Handlers exhibit their dogs and the judge makes placements based on how close to the breed standard each dog is.
• All-American class will be held immediately after the breed show. All-American is for purebred or nonpurebred neutered or spayed dogs, with Boone as judge.
• Obedience on novice level with the dogs on lead will start at 10 a.m. with judge Kathy Hope. All dogs can participate. Accuracy and precision are more important in this competition than in rally.
The first entry fee of a dog for breed, all-American, obedience, or rally is $5; second entry of the same dog, $3.
Nonpurebred dogs can participate in all AKC performance events under the AKC Canine Partners Program, which is a listing service for dogs that are mixed breed, purebred but not eligible for AKC registration, not eligible for AKC stock service, or not listed in Purebred Alternative Listing at the time of enrollment in AKC Canine Partners.
For information on the sports of rally, obedience and breed events and tips on how to get started, visit www.AKC.org and follow the links. For information on the fun match, visit www.theCAKC.com or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.