BROWNVILLE, Maine – A fire Wednesday afternoon that local officials believe was caused by sparks from a passing train burned more than an acre of brush and trees along the railroad tracks near Church Street, a fire official said Thursday.
Assistant Chief Patrick Thomas of the Brownville Fire Department said that a resident reported the fire to the Brownville Police Department about 3:45 p.m.
“We presume that [the fire was caused by] sparks from a passing [train] engine,” Thomas said.
At least 20 firefighters from Brownville and Milo and two rangers from the Maine Forest Service battled the blaze, which consumed between 1 and 1½ acres of brush and woods, Thomas said. They remained at the fire scene until about 8:30 p.m., he said. No one was injured.
Thomas said that conditions were dry when the fire broke out.