Police to do road check in Sorrento assault case

Posted July 29, 2010, at 8:32 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 29, 2011, at 12:08 p.m.

SORRENTO, Maine — State police continued to search for a man in his 30s in connection with a sexual assault at gunpoint that took place a week ago in the village area.

Law enforcement officers plan to conduct vehicle stops in town today as part of their investigation, according to Sgt. Troy Gardner of the Maine State Police Criminal Investigation Division.

“We’re actively investigating the case,” Gardner said Thursday. “We’ve received some calls concerning the green van and the composite [sketch], but we’ve got nothing specific.”

A woman visiting the area reported on July 23 that she had been sexually assaulted near the intersection of Waukeag Avenue and Forest Street that morning, according to earlier reports. The woman told police that she had been walking on Forest Street at about 9:30 a.m. when a man jumped out of a green minivan brandishing a handgun and forced her into the vehicle where the assault took place.

Police prepared a composite sketch of the suspect who was described as a male in his 30s, heavyset with brown or dirty-blond hair with a stubble beard. He is between 5 feet 11 inches and 6 feet tall with blue-green eyes. He last was seen wearing gray shorts, a green bandanna and a yellow jacket.

The woman also told police that the man said his name was Tom and that he was from Down East.

According to Gardner, state police officers will be in town doing a road check between 9 a.m. and noon today in an effort to gather information about the suspect and the van.

Anyone with information about the incident can contact the Maine State Police in Orono at 800-432-7381.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Hancock