May 22, 2018
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Lunch Debt | Robert Indiana | Stolen Shed

Millinocket man arrested after chase

By Nick Sambides Jr., BDN Staff

MILLINOCKET, Maine — Police Officer Gary Lakeman’s alert eye led to a short chase on foot and a resident being charged with violating his conditions of release from jail, police said Tuesday.

Derrick Sirois, 28, also was charged with refusing to submit to arrest, police said.

Police Chief Donald Bolduc and Officer Janet Theriault were taking Sirois to Penobscot County Jail late Tuesday. He was due to be held without bail pending an appearance in court today, police said.

The incident began when Lakeman, who was patrolling in a police cruiser, saw Sirois on Central Street near Cedar Street shortly before 7 p.m. carrying what appeared to be a small bag, police said.

Suspecting that the bag contained a bottle of alcohol, which Sirois’ release conditions do not permit him to possess, Lakeman stopped the cruiser and approached Sirois. Lakeman also believed that charges were pending against Sirois, police said.

Lakeman got close enough to smell alcohol on Sirois and see that the bag did contain a bottle before Sirois ran, police said.

Lakeman chased Sirois at least 1,000 feet to Adler Street, where Sirois ran into a house, police said. Sirois emerged several minutes later, having been ejected from the residence by its occupant. Sirois did not fight Lakeman, but refused to allow himself to be handcuffed, police said.

Bolduc, who came on duty in response to police radio calls regarding the incident, said Lakeman displayed good judgment.

“Things happened very quickly, and he kept his composure,” Bolduc said.

Police said Sirois has a criminal record consisting of misdemeanors or lesser charges. He was charged in 2001 with a series of vehicle burglaries. The disposition of those charges was not immediately available Tuesday.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like