Man with deactivated grenade causes scare in Houlton

By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff
Posted July 22, 2010, at 7:23 p.m.

HOULTON, Maine — Maine State Police momentarily were scrambling to protect their barracks Thursday afternoon after an individual who found a hand grenade in the Houlton area brought it to the Troop F barracks on U.S. Route 1.

State police Sgt. Brian Harris said in a press release issued Thursday evening that the individual brought the grenade to the barracks in order to turn it over to police.

The man left the explosive in his vehicle and went into the station to report what he had found.

Since police were not sure whether the grenade was still live, the entrance to the barracks was blocked off temporarily as a precaution, according to Harris.

The vehicle also was isolated.

The state police bomb squad safely removed the grenade without incident, according to the release.

It later was determined that the grenade was real but that it had been deactivated and posed no further threat.

Harris did not say where the individual found the grenade.

Harris said that no charges would be filed. Traffic was not affected during the incident and state police services were not disrupted, he said Thursday.

This is not the first time someone has brought an explosive to the state police barracks.

In 2008, a Maine man showed up at the police barracks in Cape Elizabeth wanting to know how to safely dispose of a hand grenade that he had brought to the station in his car.

He found the explosive, which was believed to have dated to World War II, while he was cleaning his house.

The grenade was removed from the vehicle and detonated by the bomb squad.

Neil Williams, chief of the Cape Elizabeth Police Department, said at the time that individuals should not transport grenades or other suspected explosives.

He advised people who find such devices to call 911.

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/07/22/news/man-with-deactivated-grenade-causes-scare-in-houlton/ printed on December 22, 2014