Man remains in jail after 4-hour standoff

Posted July 16, 2010, at 9:50 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 30, 2011, at 11:35 a.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A local man accused of causing a four-hour standoff with Bangor police earlier this week remained Friday at the Penobscot County Jail unable to make bail.

Donald Michaud Jr., 44, made his first court appearance Friday at the Penobscot Judicial Center on two counts of terrorizing.

District Court Judge Jesse Gunther set bail at $1,000 cash or $10,000 surety.

Gunther set Michaud’s next court appearance in Bangor for Sept. 13.

The terrorizing charges are related to an incident at Michaud’s residence at 221 Center St. that began when neighbors reported hearing gunshots about 9 p.m. Wednesday. Michaud was arrested about 1:30 a.m. Thursday after he allegedly fired a handgun out the upstairs window of his apartment and threatened Bangor police.

Brendan Trainor, assistant district attorney for Penobscot County, said Friday that the investigation into the standoff is continuing. Michaud could face additional charges, Trainor said.

The victims referred to in the terrorizing charges — one of which is a Class C felony and the other a Class D misdemeanor — are Bangor police officers. If convicted of the felony, Michaud faces up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.

Michaud, who has a lengthy criminal record, also is wanted in Aroostook County for unpaid fines.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor