Man pleads not guilty in Husson stabbing

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff
Posted July 06, 2010, at 10:46 a.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A local man accused of stabbing his estranged wife in a Husson University parking lot in May entered not guilty pleas Tuesday at the Penobscot Judicial Center to charges related to the incident.

Horst Wolk, 45, pleaded not guilty to attempted murder, aggravated assault, violation of a protection order and criminal threatening.

A trial date has not been set.

Joseph Baldacci, Wolk’s court-appointed Bangor attorney, told District Court Judge Jesse Gunther he would seek funds for a psychiatric evaluation of his client and for a private investigator. The request is not unusual when a defendant is charged with serious crimes.

Wolk, a German national, remained Tuesday night at Penobscot County Jail unable to make the $50,000 cash bail set at the time of his initial appearance on May 7.

His estranged wife, a nursing student at Husson, was rescued May 5 when five female Husson students subdued Wolk about 7:40 a.m. Wolk’s wife was treated at St. Joseph Hospital for stab wounds to a leg and her neck shortly after the stabbing, and then was released.

The 35-year-old victim also told police that on March 4, Wolk held a gun to her head and pulled the trigger. Apparently the gun was unloaded. She said her husband had described in detail how he was going to kill her and bury her in a landfill in rural Penobscot County, according to a Bangor police report.

She told police on April 23, when she received a temporary protection from abuse order, that Wolk belongs to a movement in Germany that denies the Holocaust took place. She also said he had been a member of the German army and was trained as a sniper.

The victim and Wolk have been together seven years and have a 5-year-old child, according to court documents. They met when the victim was a member of the U.S. Army and stationed in Germany.

In an interview with Bangor police after his arrest, Wolk said he had been staying with a friend in Exeter since he had been served with the temporary protection order. He admitted to following his wife in an attempt to catch her with a younger man, according to court documents, so he could use it as evidence at a hearing on a permanent protection order scheduled for May 13. Wolk also told police he was upset because his wife would not allow him to see their child.

If convicted, Wolk faces up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000 for the attempted murder charge, and up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $20,000 for the assault charge. In addition, Wolk could be deported if convicted of a felony.

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/07/06/news/bangor/man-pleads-not-guilty-in-husson-stabbing/ printed on August 21, 2014