April 25, 2018
News Latest News | Poll Questions | George H.W. Bush | Litchfield Homicide | Schoolhouse Fire

Man, 54, involved in standoff sentenced to serve 120 days

By Diana Bowley, BDN Staff

DOVER-FOXCROFT, Maine — A Greenville man who was involved in an armed standoff on Aug. 28, 2008, at Indian Hill Trading Post Supermarket in Greenville was sentenced Wednesday in Piscataquis County Superior Court.

Lonnie Gould, 54, was sentenced to seven years in prison with all but 120 days suspended for robbery with a dangerous weapon. For a count of criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, Gould received a four-year suspended sentence. He also was placed on probation for four years. Gould had pleaded guilty to the charges in March.

“Needless to say, this was a very serious incident,” Justice William Anderson said Wednesday in the courtroom.

Anderson said he took into consideration the seriousness of the offense and the fact that Gould has a long history of mental illness for which he is being treated. Anderson recalled Wednesday that a mental health specialist testified in March that Gould was making great progress and he said if that progress was interrupted, it could have serious consequences. The sentence will allow him to continue with that counseling, the judge said.

Police said Gould walked into the trading post early on Aug. 28 with a 12-gauge shotgun and demanded ammunition for his gun. Store employees thought the gun was loaded and reluctantly gave him the ammunition he requested. Craig Watt, Indian Hill’s operations manager, testified in March about the terror he felt when Gould pointed the gun at both him and store employee Kelly McMahon.

When the pair stalled about giving him the ammunition in light of his state of mind, Gould pointed the gun at both of them and said he would use it if he had to, Watt recalled. It was a tense, scary situation, he said.

At the same time, the store was evacuated of customers and employees. Gould then discarded the shotgun and picked up a .357-caliber revolver from a store shelf and inserted ammunition also taken from a shelf. Gould then pointed the gun to his own head and said he wanted to kill himself.

When Gould saw former Greenville Police Chief Scott MacMaster and Sgt. William Chandler of the Maine Warden Service, who had responded to the alarm, Gould started to walk to the rear of the store, according to the testimony in March. While Chandler was talking to Gould to calm him down, MacMaster circled around, ran at Gould and grabbed the gun, police said.

As part of the conditions imposed on Gould, he must have no contact with Watt or McMahon and he is banned from the trading post. He also must continue with his mental health counseling, not possess a firearm or dangerous weapon and be subject to searches for weapons.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like