Suspect in Husson attack indicted

Posted June 30, 2010, at 12:34 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 30, 2011, at 11:36 a.m.

BANGOR, Maine — The man subdued in May by five female Husson University students when he allegedly attacked his estranged wife with a knife in a campus parking lot was indicted Wednesday by the Penobscot County grand jury.

Horst Wolk, 45, of Bangor is scheduled to be arraigned July 6 at the Penobscot Judicial Center on charges of attempted murder, aggravated assault, violation of a protection order and criminal threatening.

video platform

video management

Story continues below advertisement.

video solutions

video player

Wolk, who is a German national, remains at the Penobscot County Jail unable to post the $50,000 cash bail set at his initial court appearance May 7.

The victim, a nursing student at Husson, was rescued May 5 after five female Husson students subdued Wolk about 7:40 a.m. Wolk’s wife was treated for stab wounds to a leg and her neck at St. Joseph Hospital shortly after the stabbing and then released.

The 35-year-old victim also told police that on March 4, Wolk held a gun to her head and pulled the trigger. Apparently the gun was unloaded. She said that her husband had described in detail how he was going to kill her and bury her in a landfill in rural Penobscot County, according to a Bangor police report.

She told police on April 23, when she received a temporary protection from abuse order, that Wolk belongs to a movement in Germany that denies the Holocaust took place. She also said he had been a member of the German Army and was trained as a sniper.

The victim and Wolk have been together seven years and have a 5-year-old child, according to court documents. They met when the victim was a member of the U.S. Army and stationed in Germany.

In an interview with Bangor police after his arrest, Wolk said he had been staying with a friend in Exeter since he had been served with the temporary protection order. He said that he had been following his wife trying to catch her with a younger man, according to court documents, so he could use it as evidence at a hearing on a permanent protection order scheduled for May 13. Wolk also told police he was upset because his wife would not allow him to see their child.

If convicted, Wolk faces up to 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000 for the attempted murder charge and up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $20,000 on the assault charge. In addition, Wolk could be deported if he is convicted of a felony.

SEE COMMENTS →

Similar Articles

More in State