June 19, 2018
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

Houlton police seeking Littleton man

By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff

HOULTON, Maine — Police are seeking the public’s help to locate a 20-year-old Littleton man who led police on a short chase through Houlton on Tuesday evening and refused to submit to arrest a short time later.

The incident began at about 9:30 p.m., Houlton Police Chief Butch Asselin said Wednesday.

According to Asselin, a male caller dialed 911 to report that his daughter was driving into town from Littleton and being followed by her ex-boyfriend, Ronald D. Lewis.

Before this incident, Lewis was under house arrest at his residence for an unrelated charge. As a condition of his release, Lewis was prohibited from leaving his residence.

Houlton police Sgt. Fred Parker later received a report from Maine State Police that both vehicles were stopped at a residence on Ludlow Road near the intersection of Callaghan Road in Houlton. He was told that a possible disturbance was taking place.

As Parker approached the scene, Lewis fled in a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo down Callaghan Road, according to police.

Parker activated his lights and kept his speed at 45 mph, but Lewis drove faster, went through a stop sign and turned onto nearby Cogan Road, Asselin said.

Lewis’ vehicle continued across the intersection, became momentarily airborne and crashed into a wooded area, the police chief said. Bottles of medication, not belonging to Lewis, were found in a book bag inside the Isuzu, Asselin said. The vehicle had minor damage.

Lewis got out of the car and took off, with Parker chasing him on foot, police said.

Parker, state police troopers and U.S. Border Patrol agents conducted a search but could not find Lewis.

Trooper Dennis Quint later went to a residence to speak to Lewis’ mother. While he was there, Lewis called his mother on the phone, according to police. Quint took the phone and tried to get Lewis to disclose his location, but the 20-year-old initially refused. A short time later, Lewis agreed to meet Quint on the B Road in Houlton and turn himself in, police said.

The trooper showed up at the meeting place, but Lewis did not.

Asselin said that police suspect that Lewis was picked up by a friend or relative sometime Wednesday morning.

Lewis was still on the run late Wednesday.

Police are asking anyone with information on Lewis’ location to call the Houlton Police Department tip line at 694-3545.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like