June 21, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Family Separations | Boston TV | LePage Troops

Two killed in Enfield car crash

By Nick Sambides Jr., BDN Staff

ENFIELD, Maine — A Greenbush woman remained in serious condition at a Bangor hospital Wednesday and was the sole survivor of an accident in which a car slammed into trees off U.S. Route 2, killing two other Greenbush women, police said.

Leanna Lancaster, 38, was flown by LifeFlight helicopter to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor after Howland and Lincoln firefighters cut open a crushed 2002 Chevy Malibu to rescue her Tuesday night, Penobscot County Sheriff’s Department Sgt. Scott Young said.

No information about her medical condition was available from Eastern Maine Medical Center Wednesday night.

Investigators identified the victims as Kourtney Grindle Murray, 24, and Christina Pegg, 18. Both were dead when Penobscot County Sheriff’s Deputy Peter Stone found the car against a large-trunk tree in a front yard on the northbound side of the road opposite 1268 Route 2 at about 9:20 p.m. Tuesday.

Apparently the first to see the accident, Stone immediately radioed for help. The car’s air bags had deployed, Young said. He declined to comment on whether the three were wearing seat belts or who was driving.

“We are still trying to determine what happened,” Young said.

The car apparently was headed south and left a skid mark of some length in the northbound lane. The vehicle was demolished. A state police accident reconstruction team was at the accident site late Tuesday night assisting county sheriff’s investigators.

Investigators were fairly certain Tuesday night of the victims’ identities, but withheld releasing them until workers from the state medical examiner’s office could assist them, Young said.

The accident was a horror for several people who appeared to be family or friends of the victims who started coming to the scene. Firefighters, including Lincoln and Howland Fire Chief Phil Dawson, gently restrained and comforted several, including a man and a woman, who started coming to the crash scene at about 9:45 p.m.

At one point, Dawson joined a group of about a half-dozen people who gathered around a woman to comfort her as she screamed that she wanted to see one of the victims. The group of people stayed at the scene for more than an hour.

Investigators were on the scene for several hours.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like