June 25, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | John Williams | Red Meat Allergy | Bond Sale

Man arrested in police assault

courtesy of Bangor Police Dept.
courtesy of Bangor Police Dept.
Melvin Stokes Jr. mugshot. (courtesy of Bangor Police Dept.)
By Nok-Noi Ricker, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Milford man with a history of assaulting police officers was charged with numerous offenses Sunday night after kicking and spitting on police who were arresting him in Pickering Square for domestic assault, Sgt. Paul Edwards said Tuesday.

Melvin Stokes Jr., 27, also kicked out the window of a police cruiser and broke his girlfriend’s cell phone, Edwards said.

Stokes was arrested and charged with eight different offenses, the Police Department’s spokesman said.

“He basically flipped out and assaulted” his girlfriend around 8:30 p.m. Sunday in the downtown square, Edwards said. “It was a physical assault.

“As they [officers] arrested him for domestic assault, he ended up kicking officers,” Edwards said.

Stokes was charged with three counts of assault, domestic assault, refusing to submit to arrest, disorderly conduct, criminal mischief and aggravated criminal mischief.

“The three assaults were against officers for kicking and spitting,” Edwards said.

The criminal mischief charge was for breaking the cell phone, and the felony aggravated criminal mischief charge was for breaking the police cruiser window, he said.

If convicted of the felony charge, Stokes could face a prison sentence of up to five years and a fine of up to $5,000.

Stokes is known to the Bangor Police Department and has a history of arrests, Edwards said.

He was convicted of three counts of assault on officers in April 2007 in Penobscot County Superior Court and was ordered to serve 27 months in prison for each count, according to a court listing printed in the Bangor Daily News. The listing didn’t say whether the sentences were to be served concurrently, which is a common practice.

Stokes also was sentenced in April 2007 to 10 months in jail for criminal threatening and criminal mischief, and to prison for 27 months for tampering with a witness, informant, juror or victim.

Stokes remained at the Penobscot County Jail on Tuesday, a jail official said. Bail was set at $2,000 cash.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like