Police arrest third suspect in Castle Hill burglary

Posted June 10, 2010, at 9:34 a.m.
Last modified Jan. 29, 2011, at 11:54 a.m.

CASTLE HILL, Maine — A third person involved in an invasion of an elderly couple’s home Sunday has been arrested.

Robert Fitzsimmons, 27, of Presque Isle was arrested early Thursday morning and charged with burglary in connection with an invasion of the home of Betty and Lloyd Ellis of State Road.

Two other Presque Isle residents were arrested earlier this week for their alleged connection in the invasion. Dustin Sutton, 22, was charged with burglary, theft and violation of conditions of release, and a 16-year-old boy was charged with burglary and theft, according to Sgt. Brian Harris of the Maine State Police in Houlton. The juvenile also was charged with a separate count of burglary and theft in connection with an earlier break-in at the same home.

Betty Ellis, 75, said Sunday she heard a loud bang at about 2 a.m. and a few seconds later discovered her front door had been smashed in and two men standing by her sink. She said she told the pair to get out of her house. When she said that, a third person who had been standing behind her shoved her into the kitchen cup-boards.

The couple had been the victims of a break-in in April and had barricaded the back doors to their home hoping to prevent another break-in. The burglars on Sunday broke her front door to gain entry.

Both Sutton and Fitzsimmons are incarcerated at Aroostook County Jail in Houlton. It is unknown when the men will make their initial court appearances on the charges. The juvenile’s case will be handled through the juvenile justice system.

Harris said Thursday that the case was solved so quickly because of the excellent cooperation by the Maine State Police, the Presque Isle Police Department and the Aroostook County Sheriff’s Department.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Aroostook