Blaze destroys Parkman store

Gray's Country store, formerly KC's Country Store was gutted by fire  Monday, June 7, 2010 in Parkman. BANGOR DAILY NEWS PHOTO BY DIANA BOWLEY
Gray's Country store, formerly KC's Country Store was gutted by fire Monday, June 7, 2010 in Parkman. BANGOR DAILY NEWS PHOTO BY DIANA BOWLEY
Posted June 07, 2010, at 12:48 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 29, 2011, at 11:38 a.m.
Gray's Country store, formerly KC's Country Store was gutted by fire  Monday, June 7, 2010 in Parkman. BANGOR DAILY NEWS PHOTO BY DIANA BOWLEY
Gray's Country store, formerly KC's Country Store was gutted by fire Monday, June 7, 2010 in Parkman. BANGOR DAILY NEWS PHOTO BY DIANA BOWLEY

PARKMAN, Maine — Gray’s Country Store, formerly KC’s Country Store, was destroyed by a fire that broke out late Monday morning, a fire official said.

Guilford Fire Chief Allen Emerson said the two-story store on Route 150 is considered a total loss because of the fire and water damage.

“The fire was reported at 11:36 a.m. When we arrived, there was smoke coming out just about every window,” Emerson said Monday afternoon after returning from the scene. “It appears to have started in the kitchen area, but the fire marshal’s office is checking it out now.”

Fire departments from Guilford, Sangerville, Dexter and Cambridge went to the scene around 11:45 a.m. Approximately 20 to 25 firefighters battled the blaze.

“We had to vent the structure. We got it knocked down early enough that wind and heat weren’t a problem,” Emerson said. “It took about 15 to 20 minutes to get it knocked down and another hour getting to the hot spots and smothering them. We were able to get there before the fire could vent out through the windows.”

“The biggest challenge we had was a truck with pump issues,” he said, referring to a malfunctioning Guilford pumper truck, but the problem was fixed “in a few minutes.” The truck was taken to be repaired after crews left the scene around 3:15 p.m.

KC’s Country Store was purchased by Alvin and Trina Gray three months ago and renamed Gray’s Country Store.

“It’s been there as long as I can remember,” Emerson said. “The store was open when the fire started. His wife was in the store and he was out back. She saw it and he tried to put it out, but it was too far along.

“There were no injuries or loss of life and they did have insurance,” he said.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Piscataquis