Man gets 5 years in sex, assault cases

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff
Posted June 03, 2010, at 9:40 p.m.

ELLSWORTH, Maine — A Blue Hill man has pleaded guilty to multiple criminal charges and subsequently was sentenced to serve five years in prison.

Douglas J. Moore, 48, faced charges of unlawful sexual contact and aggravated assault as a result of separate incidents. He was accused of shooting another man three times in a Nov. 1, 2007, altercation, and of twice having sexual contact with a 10-year-old girl in December 2009.

On May 25, Moore pleaded guilty to two counts of unlawful sexual contact and two counts of violating conditions of release. He also pleaded no contest to a charge of aggravated assault in connection with the shooting.

Justice Kevin Cuddy, presiding in Hancock County Superior Court, sentenced Moore to 10 years in prison with all but five years suspended on the unlawful sexual contact convictions. Moore also received two six-month sentences for violating the terms of his release and a sentence of five years on the aggravated assault convic-tion. All the sentences are concurrent.

Moore also was ordered to serve 12 years of probation upon his release and to register as a sex offender.

In exchange for the no contest plea, other charges stemming from the shooting — elevated aggravated assault, criminal threatening and reckless conduct — were dismissed.

The sexual contact charges stemmed from incidents that occurred in December 2009 at Moore’s home on Kingdom Road, one of which was witnessed by a female acquaintance, according to documents filed with the court. Moore, believing the woman would report the incident, contacted officials with the Maine Department of Health and Human Services himself to tell them what had happened, according to the documents.

The shooting incident happened during a Nov. 1, 2007, altercation at Moore’s house between Moore and a 53-year-old Brooksville man who had had an affair with Moore’s wife, according to a police affidavit. Moore shot the man with a pistol three times, the first two shots hitting him in the thigh and abdomen and the third giving him a superficial wound to his leg, the document indicated. One bullet lodged in the man’s liver, according to police.

According to Mary Kellett, assistant Hancock County district attorney, Moore’s wife passed away from poor health after the shooting but before the sexual contact with the minor occurred.

Moore, who told police that he shot the man in self-defense, had been scheduled to go to trial on the shooting charges next month, Kellett said Thursday. She said a backlog of cases had delayed Moore’s shooting trial when the new criminal conduct came to light late last year.

In light of the unlawful sexual contact charges, Moore decided to seek a plea agreement for all the charges, she said.

Moore’s defense attorney, Ferdinand Slater, could not be reached for comment Thursday afternoon.

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/06/03/news/man-gets-5-years-in-sex-assault-cases/ printed on December 21, 2014