June 21, 2018
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Pride | Maple Syrup

Aroostook County man in custody after allegedly brandishing gun at kids

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Connors Township man sought by police after he allegedly brandished a gun at children in a Fort Kent park on Saturday was taken into federal custody Sunday after a scuffle with five U.S. Customs and Border Patrol agents, who ultimately arrested him.

Brian Nadeau, 41, initially was taken to Aroostook County Jail in Houlton on the federal charge of “forcibly assaulting, resisting, opposing, impeding or interfering with a federal officer while officer is engaged in official duties.”

After his initial appearance in U.S. District Court on Tuesday, Nadeau was transferred to Penobscot County Jail, an official from that facility confirmed Tuesday night.

Nadeau is expected to remain behind bars until a detention hearing at 3 p.m. Monday.

The series of events that led to Nadeau’s arrest began on Saturday when Fort Kent police received a complaint that Nadeau had brandished a gun at children in a local park, according to an affidavit filed Tuesday in federal court by a task force agent with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Town police officers asked officials at the Fort Kent border station to be on the lookout for Nadeau, who was described as armed and dangerous, the affidavit said. Fort Kent police also told federal authorities that Nadeau was wanted on a criminal mischief warrant in connection with an unrelated incident in Penobscot County.

About 4 p.m. Sunday, Nadeau turned up at the Fort Kent point of entry from New Brunswick. Officers there recognized him as the man police were seeking. As Nadeau’s vehicle approached the primary inspection booth, the license plate reader captured his plate number, which registered an automatic “hit” on the armed and dangerous alert, court documents said.

Officer Curtis Daigle drew his weapon, pointed it at Nadeau and ordered him to stop his vehicle and put his hands where they could be seen. Nadeau allegedly yelled obscenities at Daigle and balked at officers’ efforts to subdue him.

After Nadeau was ordered to exit his vehicle and place his hands on its roof, the suspect reportedly cursed at the agent, walked to the vehicle’s front and sat on its hood. He then stood up and began walking toward Main Street and out of the inspection area.

After ordering Nadeau to stop several times, Daigle approached Nadeau from behind and tried to bring him to the ground. Nadeau, however, tensed up and continued to resist arrest attempts. Court documents state that Daigle then was joined by two other federal officers, who grabbed the suspect’s arms and helped bring him to the ground.

Nadeau continued to struggle with the officers, swearing and threatening to kill them. He continued to resist even after he was restrained and resisted Fort Kent police officers’ attempts to treat a scrape on his arm he suffered during the episode.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like