MACHIAS, Maine — The Washington County Drug Action team, now affiliated with Washington County: One Community, is presenting the third segment of the 2010 Retreat Series on cultural influences that affect substance abuse addictions and recovery.
The retreats, “People of the Sea and the Communities that Support Them,” will be held each Thursday throughout June at locations around Washington County.
The focus for this event is called a “lean,” nautical slang for a happenstance gathering of people of the sea when they can’t go fishing. They gather around the back of a truck, lean on its side railings and talk over the problems of that day. Rather than around a truck, the retreat series lean is held in an open forum to address the substance abuse problems facing Washington County.
The lean will face the issues of the substance abuse problem in Washington County, create an awareness of the impact of substance abuse, generate realistic recommendations to resolve the problems and search for ways to implement the recommendations.
The lean series is presented Thursdays, May 27 to June 24, at six locations. The public is invited and welcome to participate.
- 8-10 a.m. Thursday, June 3, at Tall Barney’s in Jonesport for Jonesport, Beals Island, Addison and Harrington.
- 1-3 p.m. Thursday, June 3, at Women’s Health Resource Center in Milbridge for Milbridge and Steuben.
- 1-3 p.m. Thursday, June 10, at Lubec town hall.
- 8:30-10:30 a.m. Thursday, June 17, at Machiasport town hall.
- 1-3 p.m. Thursday, June 17, at Bay Ridge Elementary School, Cutler.
- 1-3 p.m. Thursday, June 24, at The Boat School in Eastport.