Fundraising to help out Augusta’s July 4th parade

The Associated Press
Posted May 22, 2010, at 3:02 p.m.

AUGUSTA, Maine — Facing a budget gap, Maine’s capital city is pulling its $8,000 funding for the annual Fourth of July parade — but private fundraising efforts have come up with a little over half of that amount so far.

The city of Augusta will continue to pay for fireworks on the Fourth, budgeting about $8,000 for that. But City Manager William Bridgeo tells the Kennebec Journal funding for the parade was cut.

Volunteer Julie O’Brien says $4,500 has been raised to pay for costs. She said a second round of letters has gone out to businesses and residents. She anticipates that will likely bring in another couple thousand dollars.

Story continues below advertisement. printed on October 26, 2016