Aroostook farmers welcoming the weather

Posted May 22, 2010, at 3:53 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 29, 2011, at 11:55 a.m.
Farmers across Aroostook County including this one in Fort Kent, are taking full advantage of a stretch of dry weather to get this year's crop in the ground. &quotA majority of the farmers will have 85 percent of their crop in by this weekend," Timothy Hobbs, director of development with the Maine Potato Board said late this week. &quotSo far it's been ideal planting conditions. According to the potato board 55,000 acres of Aroostook County are in production with the majority - about 70 percent - planted with potatoes bound for processing plants. Seed potatoes and table-stock account for the remaining 30 percent. The National Weather Service's long range forecast is calling for sunny days with temperatures in the mid 70s for northern Maine.  JULIA BAYLY PHOTO
BDN
Farmers across Aroostook County including this one in Fort Kent, are taking full advantage of a stretch of dry weather to get this year's crop in the ground. "A majority of the farmers will have 85 percent of their crop in by this weekend," Timothy Hobbs, director of development with the Maine Potato Board said late this week. "So far it's been ideal planting conditions. According to the potato board 55,000 acres of Aroostook County are in production with the majority - about 70 percent - planted with potatoes bound for processing plants. Seed potatoes and table-stock account for the remaining 30 percent. The National Weather Service's long range forecast is calling for sunny days with temperatures in the mid 70s for northern Maine. JULIA BAYLY PHOTO

FORT KENT, Maine — Farmers across Aroostook County are taking full advantage of a stretch of dry weather to get this year’s crop in the ground.

“A majority of the farmers will have 85 percent of their crop in by this weekend,” Timothy Hobbs, director of development with the Maine Potato Board, said Friday. “So far it’s been ideal planting conditions.”

According to the Potato Board 55,000 acres of Aroostook County are in production with the majority — about 70 percent — planted with potatoes bound for processing plants. Seed potatoes and table-stock account for the remaining 30 percent.

On Saturday afternoon, the National Weather Service’s forecast is calling for sunny days with temperatures in the 70s and into the 80s for northern Maine through Tuesday.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Aroostook