FORT KENT, Maine — Farmers across Aroostook County are taking full advantage of a stretch of dry weather to get this year’s crop in the ground.
“A majority of the farmers will have 85 percent of their crop in by this weekend,” Timothy Hobbs, director of development with the Maine Potato Board, said Friday. “So far it’s been ideal planting conditions.”
According to the Potato Board 55,000 acres of Aroostook County are in production with the majority — about 70 percent — planted with potatoes bound for processing plants. Seed potatoes and table-stock account for the remaining 30 percent.
On Saturday afternoon, the National Weather Service’s forecast is calling for sunny days with temperatures in the 70s and into the 80s for northern Maine through Tuesday.