October 22, 2017
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Haunted Maine | Bald Eagles | Medicaid Expansion

Residents safe after fire at Maine group home

The Associated Press

PORTLAND, Maine — Everyone is safe after a fire at a Maine home for people with mental illness.

Portland Deputy Fire Chief Robert Wassick said the fire at 130 Park St. was reported about 10 p.m. Thursday.

When firefighters arrived at Shalom House they found heavy fire and smoke. Most of the damage was confined to the third floor apartment and roof.

Wassick says the fire appears to have been started by an electrical malfunction. People living in the house were moved to other locations.

Shalom House is described as an assisted living facility for people with mental illness.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like