Fla. man accused in flight diversion released on bail

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff
Posted May 14, 2010, at 9:56 a.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A Florida man accused of causing a trans-Atlantic flight to be diverted to Bangor was placed under home detention and released on $20,000 bail.

At the detention hearing in U.S. District Court in Bangor on Friday, the judge ruled that Derek Stansberry must also wear an electronic monitoring device and undergo a psychological exam.

Stansberry faces charges after he passed along a note that said he had a fake passport and told federal air marshals that he had dynamite aboard a Paris-to-Atlanta flight on April 27, according to prosecutors.

Pending his next court appearance, Stansberry must live at the Pennsylvania home of his girlfriend’s parents.

Earlier this week, Stansberry was declared competent to face the charges against him.

The Air Force veteran was working for a defense contractor in Africa. The defense contends his actions were out of character and that he has no criminal record.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/05/14/news/bangor/fla-man-accused-in-flight-diversion-released-on-bail/ printed on November 24, 2014