Cut to $9.16M, SAD 68 budget proposal keeps programs intact

By Diana Bowley, BDN Staff
Posted April 26, 2010, at 11:32 p.m.

DOVER-FOXCROFT, Maine — SAD 68 directors will act next month on a proposed 2011 districtwide budget of $9.16 million that reflects about a $500,000 reduction from the current year.

The proposed budget includes the elimination of five teachers, four education techs, and reductions in secretarial and custodial hours, according to Superintendent Alan Smith. Further cuts will be made in some stipend positions, he said Monday.

All programs will still be in existence, Smith said, but he said there would be a minimal reduction in time in some areas. Regarding concerns expressed by some parents about the art and music programs, Smith said the school still would have art and music for all grades.

“I think everyone’s worked very hard to keep programs for kids and maintain our school in the correct light for educational opportunities,” Smith said, referring to the attached SeDoMoCha Middle School and SeDoMoCha Elementary School.

What hurt the district this year was the 10.3 percent increase in state valuations over last year, according to Smith. “Our state valuation went through the roof,” he said.

The proposed budget of $9,162,780 is down from the current budget of $9,623,969. If directors approve the proposed spending plan, Sebec, Monson and Dover-Foxcroft will see an increase in their assessments.

http://bangordailynews.com/2010/04/26/news/cut-to-916m-sad-68-budget-proposal-keeps-programs-intact/ printed on December 19, 2014